The metal elevated storage tank was constructed in 1938 and was used by the Town for almost 60 years. Beginning in 1998, the tank was no longer used for its intended purpose. Over time, the structure began to deteriorate and during 2008, a section of the bottom broke away due to rusting of the belly/bowl of the tank. Then in 2019, the tank was struck by lightning and an electrical line hit the tank and dislodged another section of the tank, causing roof damage to the adjacent Parks & Recreation building.
At that point in time, the Town began researching options see if there was interest in preserving the structure before it had to be removed due to the risks associated with the age and integrity of the structure.