Celina, in the Northwest corner of Collin County, was not established until 1876, but settlers came into the area at a much earlier date. In October 1879 a little settlement began to form a few miles southwest of the present-day Celina. John T. Mulkey, Celina’s first postmaster, renamed the town after Celina, Tennessee. The Methodist Church was built in 1880, and also doubled as a school for a while. By 1885, a general store, mill, and drug store had been opened in “Old Celina”.
About 20 years later, considerable excitement was caused by the news that the Frisco railway was soon to extend its line through this part of the country. However, the right of way was to miss the little town. Shortly thereafter, the merchants of the town made plans to move the town to the railroad. When the time came to move, the businesses and houses were each placed on rollers and pulled to the new site by traction engines. This was done in February 1902.